Re: [ST] chain oilers

On 8 Feb 2005, at 18:42, Thfwsf@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I like this topic and am prejudice to the chain oiler that I have
> installed on my ST.  I have a Pro-Oiler.
>
> This oiler is based on distance traveled.  It is not based on any
> other factors.  It has a controller that measure the rotations of the
> front wheel (I undertand it has been updated to tap into the electric
> speedo).  Then it dispenses oil via a micropump to a dual feed
> dispenser to the chain.

I have a Scott Oiler on my ST'03.  Was there when I bought it, so
didn't research alternatives and so have no idea how it compares to
anything else...  It seems that chain maintenance is very much
diminished as an activity (largely restricted to topping up the Scott
Oiler reservoir) compared to previous bikes - and the whole thing is a
*lot* less messy - especially compared to spray on 'sticky' chain lube
which simply coats inside of back wheel.  My experience (and other
reports) all suggest that the chain needs much less adjustment, lasts
for much longer, and (other say - I can't compare) a better lubricated
chain saps less energy from drive train.

Scott Oiler can be fitted in a very unobtrusive way, and is very cheap.
  I don't know the sums, but suspect that it would pay for itself simply
by extending chain life (so reducing TCO for chains...) even if you
don't attach value to the convenience aspect.  After the revolution,
all chain drive bikes will have them as standard equipment I'm sure.

For touring, an oiler gives most of the 'no maintenance' benefits of
shaft drive, but without the weight or torque reaction etc.  I think I
heard tell that pro-oilers were quite expensive: I'm sure the extra
technology is excellent, but not sure that it is necessary (but suspect
someone will be able to explain...).

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03