RE: [ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #804

It's the V-twin, VT500F.  I bought it from a guy I work with for a little
more than it's probably worth.  It was his daily rider so I knew it ran
well.  It needs the fork seals replaced and could use some love after 22
years but it's solid and small enough.

Sad story follows.

The guy I bought it from doesn't have a big motorcycle budget.  Not many
people do.  I told him that I would buy the bike from him if he ever wanted
to get ride of it.  I've wanted one for years.  One Monday he asks me if I
still want to buy it.  Yep.  I'll get you a check tomorrow.  He's got a line
on a '78 Honda CB750 with a Weisco 836cc kit and a 4-into-1 exhaust.  The CB
owner and his wife are parting ways and they want to get rid of the bike.
He's in love and I'm getting a cool bike.  Everyone is happy.

So I bring him a check on Tuesday and he signs over the title to me.  He
says he will deliver the Ascot to me that night because he is going to take
his truck and pick up the CB.  About 6:30pm he calls and says he can't make
it that night because the CB's owner is starting to waffle on selling it an
he wants to go get it before the guy changes his mind for good.  No problem.

The next morning he is riding his newly acquired CB750 to work.  It's
November in Seattle so it's dark but the roads are dry.  1/2 mile from work
some idiot makes and illegal left turn in front of my buddy and said buddy
t-bones the car at 35 mph.  Luckily he stood up on the pegs just before he
hit and went over the top of the car.  He had some bruises and sore muscles
but he basically walked away.  Good gear saved his skin.  The bike was
totaled.  He owned it for less than 12 hours.  The front wheel is in the
pipes and his feet ripped the tank off as he went over.  The idiot the made
the illegal left was up on criminal charges as well as traffic violation
last we heard.

Now he's in the market for a new bike.  I've been singing the Triumph tune
and he now has a mid-90's Trident for a desktop picture.  I need to ride to
work soon so he can hear the triple before he goes after another Japanese 4.
To bad it snowed today.

RoB Brown
Kent, WA
04 ST