[ST] Re: Sprint 2002 Rear Bearing Failure - the story continues

G'day. Harry / Sydney OZ.

You may recall I posted a message Jan 26/05 - Subject " Warning Rear
Bearing Failure, well the repairs are nearly finished and I thought it
responsible to pass on to you the news..  Firstly, the time line:

Built April 2002 - VIN; SMTTF 650XH 2144 150
 2,000 klm Bought as a demo model Sept 2002 (no re-call mentioned )
10,000 klm First service - no mention of bearings / no recall received
16,000 klm First failure - rear wheel seized, no other damage or injury

(Replaced under warranty by "company" dealer)
20,000 klm service Dec 2003 - rear bearing not inspected per service
spec as " New rear bearing fitted at 16,000 klm "
28,500 klm Nov 2004 ( 30,000 klm service ) no mention of rear bearing.
29,600 klm Jan 26/05 Rear bearing seized at speed, resulting in injury
to my girl friend and substantial damage to the bike.

How this was dealt with by the "company" and their dealer I will pass
on later - my question / problem is that NO ONE can tell me why this
happened, or how it can be prevented from ever happening again. The
problem can not be endemic to the model or you would all have had this
problem ??

Some questions to the many experts on the list.
Is this recall / rear bearing problem only on the 2002 model - if yes,
what is different in the other year models ( I want one of those other
or newer bearings ! )
Does anyone have any idea why this happens - and what can be done to
prevent it happening again. Seems the "company" has no idea. I may not
be so lucky the 3rd time !!!
I have pics of the rear bearing that looks like it exploded, I can send
copies if you have a fast connection - let me know if you want them.

Without answers to these questions I am still having a serious
confidence issue with this bike ("company") - as is my girlfriend who
was injured in the incident.

FYI - I have been riding for over 30 years, all sorts of bikes, have
had many track days, etc,  and consider myself a moderate (with
pillion) to aggressive style rider, (read I'm not a green novice) Up
till these most recent incidents, I thought the Sprint was the best all
rounder bike I had ridden ???

I now ask that thru your collective wisdom / experience if there is
some good explanation so I can continue riding the Sprint with
confidence.

Cheers / Harry.
ps: rode a BMW K100 RS for 10 years previous - never had a problem ??

http://au.movies.yahoo.com