Re: [ST] Hey Denis

Here's the final chapter of "Michael's Drunken Visit to Vermont"....

  When we last left, Michael was being accosted by the local constabulatory
in West Halifax, Vermont.  Michaels' snappy response to a question regarding
his libation schedule was not met with the reaction he may have hoped for,
and the constable's reaction was to attempt a field sobriety test.  To say
that my brother was an unwilling participant in this would be a mild
understatement.  When the officer became insistent, Michael's response was
to become.....somewhat belligerent....At this point, the Officer ( a sworn
representative of The Law, I might add) produced and began to brandish his
nightstick.  He then insisted on Michael's cooperation, which, at this
point, was definitely NOT forthcoming.  When the officer made an overture to
prod Michael into cooperation, he was forcibly relieved of the stick.  Now
you have an inebriated 6' 3" construction worker from New Jersey waving a
nightstick at a 5' 6" Barney Fife look-alike police man wanna
be....Fortunately, common sense prevailed, and rather than beat the shit out
of the cop, Michael yielded, returned the nightstick to its' rightful owner,
and was cuffed and placed in the back of Barney's Pontiac station wagon.
West Halifax does not have a police station as such, so the officer
transported Mike to the next town of some size, Wilmington, where I was, at
the time, renovating an old home and managing a local restaurant.  The chief
of police, a good friend of mine, called me at 8 PM to let me know he "had a
guy who looked just like me" locked in his file room, because Wilmington
doesn't have a lockup, either.  The chief's suggestion was that I personally
pay him a visit, and that he would be willing to release the "mouthy bastid"
if he apologized for embarrassing The Constable, and threatening him with
his own nightstick.  I was permitted to visit my brother in the file closet,
and, after considerable discussion and persuasion, yielded the required
result.  Mike was released into my custody, and everyone was happy.

As a side note, he was then charged with failure to comply with the field
sobriety test, and given a DUI summons.  He also had to pay for 50 feet of
guard rail, towing and storage charges for his truck, and was told not to
visit Vermont for a while....