[ST] Phone Book to Hell The power of the internet....

OK, all you "phone book" protagonists, that ain't the point.  Believe it or
not I have actually seen a phone book, even used one for something besides
toilet paper  :--)

But a phone book ain't' a reverse look up tool.  You know someone's name,
you look up the phone number and address.  That's how they work.  What
concerns me is the fact that someone can get a anonymous phone number and
instantly find out who owns it and a freakin map to where they live.

Sure, I know reverse look-ups have existed for years on the internet, use
them in my work sometimes.  But they ain't "Google".  Any stupid freakin
moron knows where google is and how to use it.

A few scenarios that you might consider.

1)  You are up late some night, you go to call a friend, you misdial, it's
2:30 am, you get some crack pot on the other end screaming how you just
ruined his whole nights sleep.  You hang up.  Before, that would be the end
of that.  But now this meathead, jumps up, keys your phone number into
google, and heads over to your house for a little front yard olympics.
Could happen easily.

2)  You put an add in the local paper to sell a sweet vintage bike, list
your phone number.  The local bike gang check your number out on google.
Too stupid to find your house by just an address, they print the map and
stake our your house.  Ahhhh, the plotting begins.

3)  You meet some sweet chick at the bar, you write down your number on a
napkin, slip it into her delicate hand, hoping she will call you in a day or
so.  You didn't know she was married to the most jealous ex-con on the
planet.  He finds the napkin while rummaging through her purse looking for
crack.  He goes ballistic.  Goes to the computer and you, my friend are now
on a mangle and destroy list and don't even know it.  He can even read the
map.

I could go on, and I bet you guys can come up with some even more bizarre
scenarios.

Sure, far fetched, but just one more possible way to be hassled, easily.
Too easily in my book.

I'll tell ya one thing for sure, just hope no one plays the old joke on you,
you know the one where somebody scribbles your phone number on the bathroom
wall.......

"For a good time call 972-555-1212".  You might become way more popular that
you want.

And just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean the world is NOT out to get me.

     :--))))

eL Donut
jinete en la tormenta

STeve Duncan