[ST] Actual RIDE report :)

OK, I'm thru with conspiracy theories and chemical formulas  :)  Not worth a
crap at either.
My worst ride report is way better than my best conspiracy theory.

There was a time when my main job around here was to post ride reports,
short or long, and rag on anyone who did not  :-)  Well the sheriff is back.
  I'm not sure where things went amiss.  Maybe it was the fact that I've not
been riding as much as before (family matters, mostly), or maybe it's just a
bad case of PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) that is very unusual for Tejas
this time of year.  No matter.  If we are gonna have a SPRINT mailing list,
then I will try and talk MOTORCYCLES, as much as possible.

I will readily admit, I have been one of the worst with all with the
off-topic babble, and I am going to make amends.  Now, a "little" off topic
is not a bad thing.  But I've strayed way afar.  So, let's ride these
beasts, work on them, modify them and get back to picking them apart, OK?
:--))

SO........................

Today, I rode my baby, rode her hard, like she begs me too.  I had to
~drive~ up to OKC yesterday to tend to Mom.  It was a rainy, cold, windy
Saturday and I drove the truck.  On the way home today, it could not have
been more different.  Blue skies, nice and warm, with just a bit of south
wind.  There were tons of bikes on I-35 headed in both directions.  I cursed
myself for being in a truck even with the Triumph sticker on the back
window.  What to do?  Well, go like hell and hope to get home in time for a
little ride, that's what.

I pulled into my driveway about 3:30, threw my junk into the living room
floor and rushed to the garage.  There she was, waiting patiently, looking
calm, but ready to go.  I could almost hear her whisper, "It's been a long
time big boy, you gonna ride me today?".  I chuckled and said, oh yeah, we
gonna push a limit or two, we gonna do it, and do it right.

Racing back to my gear closet. I grabbed the Alpinestars, Leather Jacket and
put on the draggin jeans.  At the last minute, I also put on the Phoenix
pants over the jeans. ATGATT, you just never know, ya know?  Back to the
garage, donning helmet and gloves, while my little redhead is warming up,
and I'm off.

Out of the neighborhood and onto I-35 north to catch the first FM (farm to
market) road I can find.  This would be FM1173 west thru Krum.  Now this
road is nothing special, other than the fact that it gets you out away from
most all traffic fast, as fast as you want it to.  I wanted fast and pinned
a few hyper-triple digits along the way.  Ahhhhh, I can feel the stress
ripping away, like tear offs at a motoGP race.

FM1173 intersects with FM455 a few miles up.  I take FM455 back east.  This
is one of my favorite roads in the local area.  Very high speed, and
desolate, with some nice tight corner combinations thrown in, and a few big
fast sweepers.  I used all the road had to offer and almost broke my
chinstrap, with the big grin I was sporting.  At Bolivar I leave 455 for
FM2455 south and back into Krum.  another desolate road, but getting more
traffic lately because of all the homes beginning to pop up in the area.
Still a fast ride.  More hyper speed excursions.

Back into Krum, I grab FM 156 and on south.  This road was some nice twisty
bits inter dispersed with the typical north texas straight shots.  More
leaning and more speed.  My baby is singing along, happy, I can tell.  The
recently installed "sport" can sounds just right.  Not too loud, but a nice
mellow gurgle.  Close to redline it is a positive howl.  We howled.

FM156 takes me down all the way to Justin, where I hook up with FM407.  I
like 407, it has some good bits as well, but traffic slowed me down a
little, and I stayed patient.  Sorta.  Passed seven cars in one fell swoop
when the opportunity presented itself and I was back sailing.

Just before I got into the urban sprawl of Lewisville there is a little road
called Copper Canyon Road.  I take it.  It's one of my favorite "back"
roads.  All tight and twisty and up and down hills, with lots and lots of
trees.  At one point, the overhanging branches completely cover you from
above.  Very nice, peaceful, and I chill and obey the posted 35mph speed
limit.

This takes me back north to FM 2499 and only a few miles from home.  I jog
back east on 2499 and then into my neighborhood.  Mission accomplished.

Have I ever mentioned that I love to ride?

eL Donut
jinete en la tormenta

STeve Duncan
'00-Sprint-ST