[ST] SB 1021

Has been introduced in the CA legislature (we just made it under the
wire since Leg Counsel was so backed up this year).

The copy is here: http://makeashorterlink.com/?J3EC62A8A

Short form:

It's intended to offer a penalty to law enforcement that makes violating
  right of way and causing injury the points equivalent of reckless
driving. It also has a graded series of fines (from $150 - $250 .... we
may move to get those raised and add a further fine for causing death in
committee - in interested in people's thoughts).

As I've discussed in the past, most drivers who violate right of way
(run stop signs, make unsafe lane changes, enter roads unsafely) who
injure or kill someone either get a conventional one-point traffic
ticket, or in very rare occasions, get charged with manslaughter (if
they kill someone). This offers a discretionary additional penalty,
which we hope will get drivers to focus a bit on this slice of behavior.

Language is also going to be added diecting the DMV to add a section
emphasizing these issuesin driver's handbooks and tests.

While this applies to all motorists, the impact on motorcyclists,
bicyclists, and pedestrians should be obvious.

At some point, I'm going to probably ask each of you to write or email
legislators to help this along; right now, it's supported by the AMA,
ABATE, and the MIC. I'd like to get some bicycle advocacy groups
involved as well...

Marc

End of st-digest V2004 #824