RE: [ST] In Search of the Illusive MC Content

> I have been looking at a bunch of photos over the last few months from
> Sport
> Rider, Bike, Motorcylist and Cycle World with guys riding street bikes
> with
> a knee touching or close to touching asphalt.  Guess what, not one of
> those
> photos put a peg anywhere near asphalt.  Do you think that the reason
for
> whole bunch of peg dragging is just poor form????

There are two things here. How far the bike is leaned over and how far
the rider has gotten off the bike. The more you get off the bike the
less lean you need to take a turn at a certain speed.

The lower right hand fairing on my ST is scraped. This happed on the
street (cherohala skyway) and at the track. But it turns out that this
was due to badly setup suspension. I have since added preload to the
rear shock and don't think it touched down at my last track day. I don't
touch anything down on the street with my current suspension settings.

However without the fairing in the way I can now lean further. At my
first track day the fairing was touching and I was just catching the peg
feelers. After sorting out the suspension before my second track day the
peg feelers were hitting pretty hard. They are quite long so I removed
them. This helped but I still touch the foot pegs down occasionally and
since they are aluminium, compared to the steel feelers, they wear down
quickly. I think I could avoid this if I was smoother or perhaps by
adding more preload or getting a better shock.

I think that at this point getting my knee down is more a question of
getting off the bike more than leaning the bike over further.
Rupert