From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Rupert Galea
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 9:55 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ST] In Search of the Illusive MC Content

> As far as hitting pegs.  The ST and RS really aren't designed for
maximum
> lean angle.  The foot pegs are designed for comfort.  I don't think
they
> are as high as a race prep bike's would be.  I think, on a race prep
bike
> you'll surpass maximum lean angle before the peg hits.  When the peg
hits
> it's because it's sliding down the track in a low side.  I could be
wrong,
> but that's my opinion.
>
> Maybe I'll see if I could ask one of the AMA superbike stars about
that
> whilst in Daytona.
>
> Rich

This makes perfect sense and should have been obvious to me :)

As far as the effect track days have on your street riding I agree with
Rich. People are often intimidated by the idea of a track day but it is
nothing more than another stretch of road but with no oncoming traffic
and no trees and depending on the track good run off if you get it wrong
and an ambulance standing by. Just like on the street how far you push
it is totally up to you.

Meanwhile you get to improve your skills in a controlled environment
usually with instructors available. You also get a better understanding
of the limits of your bike. So when, for whatever reason, you find
yourself entering a turn too fast on the street you will have the
confidence to ride it out rather than stand it up and go into the
oncoming lane.

Rupert