Re: [ST] for Rod - instruction request

>     Where have you been all my life, Rod?... I would really like to
> get some instruction from you to improve my skills.
Mr doo,
The question had to do with an RS not a Thunderbird, Norton Commando,
Lightning Rocket or XLCH.  As for desert racing, there just aren't that many
deserts east of the Mississippi, not that desert racing has a lot to do with
cutting through a series of turns on asphault.  I cut my teeth on US 250
from Tappan Lake to Elkins, WV and numerous other byways in WV, SE Ohio and
W. PA.  I make no claim to be the best rider on the planet nor do understand
exactly what I do to the point where I would consider myself an expert
instructor.   What I do know, is I hold my own in the turns and I don't
scrape ANYTHING, with an exception where the shape of the road puts peg side
pavement abnormally high.

My overall point is that, yes you can scrape pegs or center stand but you
don't have to and you are beyond what "should be" acceptable risk.  Hanging
off, not even to the degree of a professional racer, should eliminate
scraping on an RS.   Setting up for the turn, getting your body in position,
starting the turn in at the right place, braking to an appropriate speed all
contribute.  If you are frequently scraping, I contend your doing something
wrong.  Not only that you are in an area of the tire where more bad things
happen than good.   In observings the statements of riders on several lists
of the years I have notice a very high correlation between riders talking
about scraping parts and riders how crash.  Remember I'm talking street, not
track.

If you equate longevity to form, I would leave with an old saying, "better
to be lucky than good."

Rod