[ST] for Rod - fall under it so you don't scratch it!

 >>> The question had to do with an RS not a Thunderbird, Norton
Commando, Lightning Rocket or XLCH. <<<

    To quote from the beginning of my post, "from the new Thunderbird
650 I bought in 1956 to my '02 RS Sprint"; isn't that the RS you had
in mind?  Never did have a Commando, although my buddy did and I
loved it!

 >>> I cut my teeth on US 250 from Tappan Lake to Elkins, WV and
numerous other byways in WV, SE Ohio and W. PA. <<<

    My first 16 years of street riding were spent in the White and
Green mountains of New England,... much different do you think?  The
last 38 years have been mostly in the mountains and coastal hills of
California - STeve Duncan, a long time denizen of this list, can
describe to you the kinds of roads to which I devote my riding days -
with occasional 2-3 week vacations in the Alps, Pyrenees and South
Island, NZ (the BEST place in the world to ride a motorcycle).

 >>> yes you can scrape pegs or center stand but you don't have to
and you are beyond what "should be" acceptable risk <<<

    One recent innovation (around 1970) has been the folding footpeg,
which takes it out of the centerstand class when it comes to
dragging.  It won't dig into the pavement and jack the rear wheel off
the tarmac unless one is dumb enough to trap their foot behind it.

    And I can't imagine anything - even penis size - which varies
more between individuals than what "should be" acceptable risk!
Hence the plethora of noxious legal revenue producers such as seat
belt, helmet, smoking and similar laws abrogating individual
liberties (one Dickless Tracy even gave me a Child Endangerment
citation for letting my grandson sit on my lap and drive the old
pick-'em-up truck!).  Hell,... in Calif. they even have a statute
dictating the maximum allowable temp. for your back yard hot tub;
Governments have too much money and not enough to do!

 >>> Hanging off.... should eliminate scraping on an RS. <<<

    Hanging-off was introduced by Paul Smart (and later perfected, as
were so many other things, by Kenny Roberts) on his rise through the
GP ranks.  His crew chief - Nobby Clark as I recall - encouraged it
because although he still fell off, he now fell under it instead of
on top, with consequently less damage to the bodywork!

    I'm sure you're an excellent rider,... perhaps better than I
could ever have been, but your comments on body position lead me to
suggest a two-day class at an American Supercamp, owned and operated
by Danny Walker & Chris Carr, near you.
                                     www.americansupercamp.com

Their school is the most interesting, informative and SHEER FUN
you'll
ever have; especially if you have sons and friends who are into
riding.
My friends, sons and grandsons go with me at least once every year
for a 'guys weekend'; it's the most fun we've ever had with our
clothes on!  The Harrington, DE schools in April are already full but
you might catch one in the fall.  Will I see you at the RAT Dragon
Raid late in Sept?

                                   Happy landings;

                                        lucky lickety   - - - o&\o
ps
     The Calif. license plate on my RS reads:      LKT SPLT