[ST] No ride report,,,just working on the ST......

If there's one good thing about living in the Midwest during winter, it's
that you have time to work on your bikes without feeling guilty for not
riding them.  Ok, I'm reaching but giving that it's still in the low 30's
and snowing I'm trying to cheer myself up.

Tore into the ST over the weekend (it's good to have a heated garage up
here!), time for the 12,000 mile service even though I've got 13,000+ miles
on her but close enough.  Checked the valves and all the intakes were right
in the middle of the specs, cool.  Not so with the exhaust valves.
Whew!  With number 6 I could barely squeeze  a .172mm in there.  Pretty bad
considering the manual gives a range of ,20 - .30.  The other 5 required a
lot of elbow grease to get a .203,, in there.  So I'm off the dealer later
this week for different shims.  (The dealer recently decided to be closed
on Mondays and I have to jump a plane for work tomorrow morning).

I was following the service manual's recommendation of putting the bike in
a high gear and using the rear wheel to turn the engine in order to check
clearances.  What PIA!  I didn't read far enough to where it says you can
use a "nut" actually an allen head attached to the end of the crank to
rotate the engine to 1 TDC.  That's THE way to go!  It's soooooo much
easier to rotate the engine that way and you can watch the cams as you're
doing it.  I'll plop in the new shims, air filter, fuel filter, and spark
plugs over the weekend and I'll be almost ready to go.

Next up on the list: coolant, new springs + emulators up front, and a new
shock for the rear.

Come on SPRING!!!!!!

George