[ST] Portable Amplification (long)

>I've tried those, too.  Where did you get yours made?  Mine were made by
EAR and have never fit properly.  They won't seal, so I get wind noise
and music noise.  If I wear them at my desk and especially if I push and
hold tham "in" they seal and sound quite good.  That just doesn't work
on a bike.

I've had that same problem and solved it by using a little "lube".  If I'm on a multi-day trip where I'm wearing the plugs a lot, I'll use Neosporin, taking great care to stay away from the little speaker outputs.  If I'm just out for the day, I do just the opposite and use a bit of spit.  If you're having the same problem I did, it's not that the plugs don't fit right, just that the silicone is preventing them from getting inserted to the proper place.  The musicians I work with, who wear these things 4-5 hours a day swear by the neosporin bit, otherwise the ear canal can get pretty irritated.

As for an interface, I commend you guys who want to sit down with a bag of parts and a solder gun, but I prefer to ride.  I bought an xma3 from Tesseract Corp which not only allows me to interface my mp3 or XM with a Valentine1 and a GPS, it actually ducks the music for a V1 or GPS audio alert.  It also can be hardwired OR run on a 9V battery.  The only drawback I've found in it is the lack of a volume control which was easily solved with a Radio Shack inline attenuator.

David
'99ST

ps,  sorry for the blank post.  "Return" does different things on different browsers and I can never keep 'em straight.

End of st-digest V2004 #724