From: Bryce <bster13@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jan 13, 2005 1:19 PM
To: ST1100 List <st1100@xxxxxxxxxx>, vfr@xxxxxxxxxxx, st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Blue Ridge Parkway  feasible mileage in a day?

Planning a couple of trips down South this year.
Basically wondering if my mileage totals for a give
day are possible.

Some background...

- - I've been on the BRP in the Spring when School was
still in session and it was wonderful with little to
no traffic.  But avoided it on another trip because of
possible RV/family traffic, how true is this?

- - I plan on traveling solo or with one possible other
rider.  No big groups.

- -I'll be using the ST1100 for one trip and a YZF600r
for another.  The YZF has a tank range of ~200+.
(similar to the VFR, maybe a little better)

- -I'd be on the BRP Friday from 6am on(or whatever it
takes) and then again Sunday returning to Reston, VA.

The Rallies and Dates...

1st) EaSTOC June 23rd-26th in Stecoah, NC

2nd) YZF600r.com July 15th-17th in Stecoah, NC

Questions/Comments...

- -Considering your own personal experience on bikes
like the YZF and ST1100, what is a safe mileage amt.
to cover when starting from Reston, VA (outside DC)
and trying to get to Stecoah, NC in a day?  (if
possible considering the amt. of daylight that time of
year and road closures up there->
http://www.nps.gov/blri/)

- -Right now I'm looking at ~560-580 miles depending on
how I slice this using mostly BRP and some slab if I
need to shorten the route.

- -What's a safe speed over the 45MPH limit to carry on
the BRP in the straights without attracting LEOs?

- -Is there a quicker route to take that's fun/twisty as
well?

Thanks!

Bryce