Re: [ST] RAT membership

In a previous email, Garry Simmons stated:
> RAT members get priority booking of rides when the Triumph Demo Truck rolls
> into town.

What? You're kidding. Right? I'm not a RAT member and I've been to only
one truck demo day. At no time was I asked for my RAT card and I
certainly wasn't told that I would have to wait because I wasn't a member.

Think about it. The demo truck is a marketing tool. It's used to turn
people that are marginally interested into Triumph buyers. Why on earth
would they want to give preference to people that already own Triumphs?

Picture this happening on Demo Day:

Interested Buyer: "Hi. I'd like to try out the Sprint."

Paperwork Guy: "Sure. Right now it's available for the next ride. You
can take it out then. Just fill out this form and I need to see your
license and RAT card."

IB: "RAT card? What's that?"

PG: "Riders' Association of Triumph. We give preference to members over
non-members. If you're not a member you'll have to wait."

IB: "Let me get this straight. Before I can test ride a Triumph I have
to own one?"

PG: "Oh, by golly no! You can test ride one. You just have to wait.
Besides, you don't have to own a Triumph to be a RAT. You just have to
pay the $30 annual dues."

IB: "Why do I have to wait?"

PG: "In case a RAT member wants to ride it."

IB: "Look. I only want to try thing out to see if I want to buy it. If I
buy it I'll pay the lousy 30 bucks.

PG: (Gives a vacuous smile.)

IB: "You're telling me that if someone that owns a Sprint and is a RAT
member comes up here after me and wants to ride it I'll get bumped?"

PG: "That's one of the benefits of being a RAT member!"

IB: "Well then. In the words of Groucho Marx, 'I wouldn't want to join a
club that would have me as a member.'"

PG: "I'm sorry that you feel that way. If you test ride the Sprint,
you'll be convinced. With your purchase you get a one year membership
for free. Then you can go on all the test rides that you want!"

No Longer Interested Buyer: (Shaking his head like the AFLAC duck in the
Yogi Berra commercial.) "I'm going to the Kawahonzuki dealer down the
street."

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."
            -- Jules de Gaultier