[ST] Yahoogroups

To the group and Eric; have you ever considered
moving this list to yahoogroups? Since there is
no archive I cannot determine whether you have
discussed this before. A lot of my messages have
gone into black holes again the last few days,
hope this one will make it thru.

About yahoogroups, I'm surprised to not find any
big specific Sprint ST forum or even yahoogroup.
This form of mailing list is very primitive in
my experience. That's why I was wondering if it
has been discussed prior. Let me try to put the
advantages and disadvantages in a row.

Similarities between this list and yahoogroups:

1. Both have email and digest delivery options,
both look IDENTICAL. Instead of a Jack Lilley
sponsor message there is a random different
message (in plain text, or html if you wish)
hidden in the bottom of the email. So no difference
once you're subscribed.

Advantages yahoogroups over this mailing list:

1. Except for individual emails or digest also
possible to read and post via the web interface
2. searchable archive
3. lots of extra options like the interactive
links, files, polls, database and photos sections
4. more durable and reliable system because it is
possible to appoint numerous moderators for helpdesk
or administrative tasks
5. no black holes, possible to post in html or
plain text, attachments (if desired) will be
stripped automatically for security
6. less workload for Eric (sharable workload at
least if he wishes to participate) and no need
for (future) sponsor search
7. central site for the group that is customizable
in appearance and accessibility
8. Messages appear almost immediately (this group
seems to have huge delays and black holes, at least
in the past few weeks I've been on it)
8. Much easier for people to find, join or leave
the group and easier for them to change and/or
review/manage their own settings and options

Advantages for this mailing list over yahoogroups:
... NONE....

Moving a mailing list to yahoogroups is not new for me.
About 4 years ago I was on the Honda PC800 mailing list
which had the same setup as this list, but with an
archive (although it didn't work, the owner was way
too busy to try to fix it). After a long discussion
the group did agree it was a good move to shift
everybody to yahoogroups. The PC800 mailing list had
remained at a constant 200 member number before that
time, but after the yahoogroup move it grew quickly
and is now approaching the 2000 number. The files,
photos, links and all other features are used
continuously absolutely to the max. Together with the
searchable archive it is now a huge source of PC800
knowledge (a bike that hasn't been sold new in 7 years
mind you!). You can check out the group (most options
are viewable by public) at www.pc800.net . Together
with about 8 other moderators (including Tom Fraser
who's on this list as well) we try to let things run
smoothly. Looking back to the last 4 years this was
a good move for the PC800 community.

I have set up a group to show you guys how it COULD
look. I was hoping to already create an archive on
it with the messages from this group, but somehow this
list server doesn't want to send messages to that group.
There's also a group called sprintst, but the owner
of that group has not reacted to my joining message.
The link above shows you how it can look. Anybody can
now just join and try it out, unfortunately I can't
couple the messages from this list to that group yet.

So what do you guys (and Eric) think about this?
Your ideas and feedback please...

Emile
www.piloot.com
www.pc800.net