Re: [ST] Moving the ST Digest to Yahoogroups

Hi

On 21 Jan 2005, at 14:43, Heyer, Matthew A. wrote:

> I am happy to take over this list but if the majority of list members
> would prefer to move to Yahoo group...
> Rupert
>>>

> If we were on a yahoogroup, we could take a vote..... :0)
>
> Matt Heyer

I too was one of those who offered to help out with support of /
hosting of the Triumphnet system - I am not sure where those
discussions ended up (they just seem to peter out...) but it did seem
likely that someone was going to take over the site / list etc.  If so,
I suspect that how the list is provisioned will become part of the
plans of whomsoever this is.  However, one of the topics discussed by
several of those who offered to support Eric at the time (including me)
was to move the whole site to a new 'platform' (e.g. postnuke, Mambo or
Xoops etc.) that would make site maintenance easier.  A natural
side-effect of this would (or could) be to merge the mailing list
membership and 'register' database into a single system.  Most, if not
all, systems like Mambo include quite good mail-list systems linked to
web-based discussion forum systems: often based on / similar to a
common forum system called phpBB.  They also allow for such things as
photo-albums, polls etc. etc.  Such an approach would provide Yahoo
Groups style features, but also allow Triumphnet to keep control of the
list membership information (and messages).

I participate in several Yahoo Groups lists, and 'own' / moderate
another.  While the system works OK, our experience with the list I
moderate is that few use the web-site facility, and those that do find
the system quite hard to use (for example, it doesn't allow for
messages to be clustered into 'threads' in any sensible fashion).  The
weird mashing of HTML vs. Text messages, and adverts also annoy.

Anyhow - I guess it is up to Eric what happens - but I'd probably vote
for an improvement to the current list software / web site over
splitting site into two (Yahoo Group list and separate web site).

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03