RE: [ST] Who is taking over etc

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Rupert Galea wrote:

> Emile,
> I do not think there is anything wrong with Yahoo but I do think that
> our own website/list would offer more. This could also be moderated by
> several people. Simon in the UK already has a partial searchable archive
> up. It would be a shame to lose all the information in these archives.
> It would also be nice to add a classified section.
>
> The sprint was designed at a direct competitor of the VFR. The VFR
> website/list was the kind of thing I had in mind
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/
>
> It would be great to get the website content / list of list users /
> archive of the list from Eric but it is not 100% necessary.

The VFR list is IMHO a poor example. I have a VFR and have been on that
list for years. The website content is stagnant and has not been updated
in quite some time. The archive has failed completely at various times and
has a search feature that has been in various states of working... much
like the ST list.

And the VFR list is *much* bigger.

The fact of the matter is that to compete with a professionally managed
centralized website/list like yahoo is going to be *very* difficult for
anything that is managed by one person in their spare time. Sure you can
share management of a mailman mailing list and website, but in my
experience that rarely happens and even then you have 2 or 3 people trying
to manage it in their small slices of spare time....and coordinate with
each other! It amounts to about the same as one person with not enough
spare time.

Yahoo groups is no curall, but I have now been on this list for some time,
as well as a micapeak list, the VFR list and a number of Yahoo groups. Out
of those two my experience has been most positive with micapeak and yahoo.

And I consider micapeak to be *at risk* for the same sorts of problems
that the Sprint & VFR lists have.

Paul