[ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #760

HSS said:

>  I can't believe the furore about preserving the online ST community.
>  The only thing I want to do is make sure we have a place to meet
online.

This was my reasoning for offering to help out on the Yahoo group

>  Since the TriumphNet site is in process of migrating to another server,
>  I feel a hell of a lot better knowing that the status quo will be
>  maintained and hopefully upgraded and improved.

I'm very happy to see this also.

STeve said:

>  And exactly just what is wrong with this list as it stands,
>  right now, today?  Nothing, I tell you.  Sure we've had a glitch or
>  two (very convenient for him), but internet lists have those problems.

I disagree here.  This list *does* have technical problems and some
unknown date in the near future in which we would lose the server space
and everything else. I have experienced some of the problems and have
gotten very frustrated about the technical decline.  The content has
been and remains high quality.  That has never been at issue.  It's
the ability to read that content and post in a timely manner
(if at all) which has been my complaint as well as the long time
inability to work with archives.

>  And what needs to be fixed is being
>  worked on.  Trust me.  Besides, Triumphnet will only be fixed from
>  here not from anywhere else.

It's about damn time.

It certainly never occured to me that some folks would get their panties
in such a wad about this and it certainly was never my intention to help
divide the group in such a way.  Mark that up too my naivety about how
people feel about their internet groups.

I am pleased about the result to get a lot of technical problems dealt
with before we run out of time.  I'm not at all happy about how this
came about, but someone throwing a match into that puddle of gas
that's been leaking out and setting a fire under our collective asses
is what this group has needed for a long time.  Because if it
wasn't this, it would be something else, or Eric saying he has free
up his space in 3 weeks (or whatever) and there being a panic to
"SAVE THE LIST!" and dealing with technical issues in too a short
time. And obviously the technical degradation is just not a problem
with a few isolated folks.  If it were, why would this shitstorm be
happening and why are we having this discussion?

Okay, that's my liST issues.  After this it's STeve's attack on Emile that
pisses me off.

I don't know Emile from shinola.  But I have never gotten the feeling or
indication that he "is a manipulator of the highest order." Or that "this
person has a power fetish."  Or any of the other barbs thrown.

> Think about it, for a moment.  Why did we need a second list.
> RIGHT NOW?
> Only one reason, to satisfy the ego of one person, who knows nothing
> about the main thing we have in common, the SPRINT!  Connect
> the dots, people, it's not about the bike with him, it's all about HIM.

If I'm wrong about this, I'll be happy to hand you my personal
Clue X 4 stick so you can use it on me.  I really think Emile had good
intentions, (even if he was new to list and rides a scooter).  I've been
on the internet since the days of the BBS and in all the UseNet groups,
conference boards, and listserves I've been on, I've never witnessed or
heard about egomaniacs attempting to take a group away for their own
nefarious enjoyment.  So while I'm sure that you're going to call me
a fucking clueless asshole, I just don't give much creedence to your
tirade about manipulators.  I just don't see the world as a horrible
place the way you do.  That's not to say there aren't people like
because there are.  I just don't think this is the case.

> I prefer to stand my ground and stay right the fuck here.

> So here is my challenge to you.  Choose.  Here or there.

Ok STeve.  Here's my challenge to *you*.  If you want this group to stay
alive and stay here, put up or shut up.  I will write out a $100.00 check
and send it to Rupert G. or whoever needs some cash to get the server and
everything upgraded so that it's not all coming out of their pocket.
Whaddya say Big Boy?

Kevin Liske

If a war be undertaken for the most righteous end,
before the resources of peace have been tried and
proved vain to secure it, that war has no defense,
it is a national crime.
                             Charles Eliot Norton