[ST] For Rich Rumble, Austin TX & Hill Country

>From: "Rich Rumble" <rich.rumble@xxxxxxx>
>
>STeve, what is riding like in the Austin area?  My wife may have an
>opportunity for work there.  Just wondering how roads there might compare
>with those you encountered with Don/T-bone/doggydoo.

Ahhhhhh, Austin.  The center of the known universe.  They have a saying in
Austin;

"Austin, for those too Texan too live in any other state, and too weird to
live anywhere else"

I love Austin.  It holds down the N.E. corner of Hill Country, more on that
later.  In Austin, you must visit, 6th street, "the world capital of live
music".  If you are really lucky, you will see David Earl Keene playing in
some honky-tonk.  Do not pass this opportunity.  Or you might catch a set by
one of the old timers, like Jerry Jeff Walker, or David Allen Coe, or Wille
hisownself.

The roads of Hill Country are wonderful.  A lot like some of the areas you
ride in SoCal, with maybe less constant elevation changes, but also with
much less traffic, and the road surfaces are more consistent, if more
abrasive (re: more grip, less tire life).  The thing you will notice about
Hill Country is the desolation.  It's a lot like the SoCal high desert.
Lots of rocks, not many trees.  But much more other vegetation.  And a lot
of it is "open range", so watch out for the cattle guards. I don't know why
they insist on putting those things in the apex of corners.  Maybe cattle
don't corner well.  LEO is minimal out there, but they know where to nab ya,
so be careful anywhere near a town.  Out on the backroads, you are pretty
free to do "what 'cha want".

One other thing different between SoCal and Hill Country is the number of
roads.  There are far fewer roads in HC, it's just so sparsely populated.
It's more about quality vs. quantity.  Now if you are dual sporting, the
options are endless out there.  Non paved outnumber paved 5 to 1, at least.

So, to the actual roads.  First, I will just throw out some town names that
are the start/stop to some of the best roads.  If you have some mapping
software, you can connect the dots, and have some great rides.  Just stay
off most of the main hiways (some exceptions) and stick to the "FM" (farm to
market) and "RR" (ranch roads) and you will find some great riding.

Mark towns like, Fredericksburg, Hunt, Bandera, Utopia, Camp Wood, Tarpley,
Sabinal, Vanderpool, Luckenbach, Leakey and Kerrville into your software and
play around with some routes.  You might have a little fun on a rainy night.

As for actual routes, let me suggest the following, not necessarily in any
continuous loop.

Hwy 16 from Kerrville to Bandera is a great, twisty ride, up and over the
mountain.  A great run, especially on a week day.  It gets a bit crowded on
the weekend and so tight pasing is difficult.  Bandera is the epitome of
Texas Hill Country.  A party unto itself.

Hwy 470 from Bandera to Utopia.  One of my favs, big fast sweepers, to tight
hairpins, and great scenery.  Just across the river coming out of Tarpley is
Mac and Erinie's, a shack in a gravel lot on your right.  Stop ther for the
best Gourmet food you have ever had.  No lie.

Hwy 187 from Utopia north to hwy 39.  This is pretty, not real technical.
It goes past the Lost Maples Natural Area, a real nice place to picnic, camp
or hike.  It also goes past a private Motorcycle Museum, definitely worth a
look.

Then hwy 39 (from the 187 intersection) back east on 39 to Hunt and
Kerrville, is another GREAT road, best done on a weekday.  It parallels the
Guadalupe river for many of it's miles and is just awesome, both in scenery
and twisty bits.  Be careful of the low water crossings.  But blast away,
when you can.  Man I love that road!

And then, finally, the mother load.  The one route that cannot be missed.
The Three Sisters.
Start in Medina, hwy 337, headed west.  Starts out smooth and fast, gaining
altitude towards Vanderpool, getting tighter.  Past Vanderpool the fun
really begins, and you will swear you have been transported, to, somewhere
else.  Across the mountain, hugging the side of a deep gorge, don't fall
down here!  You get to Leakey and have a decision to make.  You have a loop
to run.  You can either take 336 north or continue on 337 west.  I suggest
staying on 337 to Camp Wood.  Another 25 miles or so of pure nirvana on over
to Camp Wood.  At this point, just get off the bike, look up at the sky and
say, "thanks Dunc", I'll hear ya.

But the party has really just begun!  Tricky bit here as you will need to
head north on State hwy 55 about 3-4 miles to RR-335, north.  It will just
kinda veer off to the right.  Now, ya gonna have some fun!  I won't give it
away, just go fast and hold on, all the way up to hwy 41, T intersection.  I
promise you will have to stop somewhere along the way, just to catch your
breath, and say WOW, to whoever will listen.  And they better be with you,
cause there ain't no one else out there.

When you hit 41, you have a flat stretch of about 20 going back east until
you get to RR-336, on your right, take it back down and have the laugh of
your life, big rollers, and tight corners, every bit as much fun as 335.
This will hook you back up with 337 at Leakey.  Then you can take 337 back
east to Vanderpool, and you will look forward to the ride back across.  At
187, turn south to Utopia and have some great food at the Lost Maples Cafe,
don't be surprised to see 50-100 bikes parked outside.

There are dozens and dozens of other routes out there.  This will get only
get ya started.

Cheers!

dunc
eL Donut