[ST] for Chuck - accent on the 'h', as in Lohbstah

       Deah Chuck;

 >>> FWIW it's new hampshuh, not new hampshah <<<

    You're right of course, my brother; I used 'ah's throughout to
exaggerate their replacement for 'r'.

    I prevaricated my tale of being Bostonian, if I were, I'd never
admit to it;... my wife and her family are Bostonians and a more
churlish lot you could never find this side of a PMS clinic.

    I'm a country boy, born in South Peterborough, New Hampshire -
and proud of it - in 1933.  My Dad worked in the mill there - as did
those others of my kin who didn't work at the Tool Co, the Basket Co
or the Portsmouth Navy Yard - and Mom taught at the old grade school.

    As a kid, I rode on the back of my Dad's '29 Indian to hillclimbs
around the state and learned to ski at Temple Mt when they first put
up the rope tow.  Later, I skied at Tuckerman's with Brooks Dodge and
raced on the old Wildcat trail in the years before they had any lifts
or snowcats and the teams had to sidestep-pack the trail before we
could practice/race on it.  I rode scrambles and flat track at New
Canaan, Rochester, Grafton and other NE tracks, ran the Sportsman's
class on a Matchless on the old AMA Nat'l Laconia RR course at Fritzy
Baer's Belknap Ski Area and knew just about all the trails in the
gorgeous hills surrounding Hillsborough.

    We moved to Bridgewater, MA - Mom's home town - in the mid-'50s
and Dick Bettencourt was my best friend for 40 years (his sons still
come out to CA to ride with me) but my heart stayed in NH.  The only
reason I used 'New Hampshah' was that I couldn't adapt a Boston
accent to Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island or Connecticut.      =8O)

                Mea Culpa... and keep your powder dry;

                                   doggydoo   - - - o&\o

End of st-digest V2004 #768