RE: [ST] not an ST....

The inability to judge speed from video/film footage comes from the lens
angle used being different from the eye's angle of view.

We learn speeds from the rate of change of angle that an object makes
at the eye and this gets scaled up or down by a wider/narrower lens
respectively.  However, it would be possible to estimate spatial points
like the length of a car that gets passed and then calculate the speed
from the frame rate (probably 30 frames/sec if US).  I suspect the frame
rate hasn't been cheated as the early footage looks natural.

Anyone interested? Is it worth it?????

No it's a laugh either way.

Chris Harwood
(Member)

>>> rupert@xxxxxxxxxx 31/01/2005 14:28:49 >>>
I sent I reply to this but it did not make it (first time).

I have seen this video before and at the time was told it was a Turbo
Busa. I believe it to be legit. As someone else said looking straight
ahead it is hard to get a sense of speed. The rate of change when
looking straight ahead is nothing compared to looking to the side
(that
calculus thing).

When riding your peripheral vision would pick up some speed clues and
since your eyes are not fixed you would occasionally look to the side.
So it is hard to compare your on bike experience to the video.
Rupert

Dan
> Wetherington
> Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 9:04 AM
> To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ST] not an ST....
>
> If its legit (which I have a feeling it is...) its definitely
turbo'ed.
> There's someone out there with a turbo busa that can lift the wheel
at
> 140ish  (ghostrider or something??)  They claim massive hp out of
these
> turbo bikes...  That and you can get >200hp at the wheel from a
ZRX1200,
> so I'm sure that it's easily possible on a busa.
>
> Dan

> I was suspicious of how fast he got there.  He would have had to
have
> tons of bhp spare to get it there that quickly.  And I think the
> wheelie
> came down at around 130 which is also a bit high I would have
thought.

> Chris Harwood
> 00 RS
> hmmm...... I thought about it a bit more and now realize that, since
> the
> Hayabusa is chain-driven, it would be possible to gear the bike down
> with a countershaft sprocket change, thus increasing the likelihood
> that
> you'd use all gears, and at a higher rpm for a given speed.
>
> Anything is possible I suppose, but I think the speedo would still
> have
> had to be altered as has been suggested.  I also agree that the
camera
> angle plays an important part in the perception of speed.
>
> All things considered, I'm inclined to think that this video clip is
> legit, but not everyone will agree of course.

Then,
> > obviously, you can lose rpm without losing indicated speed, as the
> > indicated speed is no longer the actual speed.
> > >
> > > Matt Heyer

1/27/05

> > >      *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
*
> *
> > *   *
> > >       The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by Jack Lilley Ltd.
> > >           http://www.TriumphNet.com/st/lilley for more info
> > >

> > >      *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
*
> *
> > *   *
> > >       The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by Jack Lilley Ltd.
> > >           http://www.TriumphNet.com/st/lilley for more info
> > >

> > --
> >

> >      *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
> *
> *   *
> >       The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by Jack Lilley Ltd.
> >           http://www.TriumphNet.com/st/lilley for more info
> >

> --
>

>      *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
*

>  *   *

*
>  *   *