Re: [ST] Stupid Question

The reason is correct, but reversed here.  When racing, you set the
gear going into the corner when you are more upright, thus you can get
your foot under the shifter and pull up to downshift.  Once in the
corner, as you drive out, you are still leaned over but need to shift
as you increase speed.  Since you are leaned over, there is no
clearace to get you foot under the shifter - so this way you just have
to press down.

Try it sometime - get into a corner at full lean with your foot under
the shifter - you'll drag/hit your toe/foot on the ground.  With the
way these guys race, that's wasted lean clearance.

Matt Heyer