[ST] '05 ST, 750km/day ,2-up

Hi gang,

Thought I'd share my day yesterday. My wife and I rode from Nelson, BC to Whistler, BC which is slightly over 750km in one day in all kinds of weather on rather twisty roads riding an '05 ST. We were using a top-box and tank-bag for luggage (both full) and the stock seat. While it was a rather long day, it was extremely pleasurable.

The new ST is an excellent two-up machine. The new seat helps keep the passenger from sliding forward during braking (heavy at times due to the pace and entertaining roads) which greatly reduces fatigue for the rider. It is also very good and keeping both butts comfortable. The fairing offers plenty of wind protection from the shoulders down. I'm not a big fan of large Trophy sized fairings since they tend to buffet, so while you're head is out in the breeze, the air stream from the neck up is calm. I do think the new bike has you leaned over and reaching for the bars a tiny bit more than the '04 and I might add some bars risers on one of our bikes to test a more upright riding position. But, at the end of the day, it was my knees that were most sore and I wouldn't want to loose the excellent ground clearance in compensation. Genevieve really liked the fact that she sat higher up and had a clear view of the road over my head. We've toured extensively on an '02 Speed Triple,'03 Trophy, '03 Tiger and '04 ST and this was without a doubt her favorite.

The new engine does pack more punch. It feels as strong two-up with a 115lb passenger and luggage as the '04 model feels solo without bags. The handling is sharp and very confidence inspiring, even in the wet. The suspension was not taxed by the 350lb of rider, passenger and luggage.

If you often ride two-up and want to have fun in the twisties for extended periods of time, this new ST rocks. The '04 and older STs are still great bikes and riding solo, the advantages of riding the new bike are less pronounced, but two-up, this new ST is tons of fun on twisty mountain roads (for both). Give your significant other a birthday gift...she deserves it.

All the Best,

Mike Ciebien
Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Holidays
www.rockymtnmoto.com