From: st-triumphnet.com-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-triumphnet.com-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Al
Garvin
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 12:13 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Time for a new clutch cable?

Yes it is 22870-GN1-000.    I paid 21.89 for it.
Al

Jeremy Witt wrote:
> Tried asking for an XL100 quote and there are several generations of
the bike, mid-70s on.  Do you happen to have a year or part number?

> Thanks,
> JDW
>
> ________________________________

Garvin
> Sent: Fri 7/8/2005 8:37 PM
> To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ST] Time for a new clutch cable?
>

> I just had one give up on my 2K ST at 48K miles. I failed at the
clutch
> end. The little stepped end ferrel just wore out. I was 40 miles
outside
> of Page Az. when it happened. I used a pair of vice grips to re-attach
> it to the lever at the clutch end.  I got a replacement from the Honda
> dealer in Page AZ. He said it was the same as a Honda XL100 clutch
> cable. It was a perfect fit.
> Al Garvin
> San Martin, Ca.
>
> Jeremy Witt wrote:
>
>>So I'm riding north after work, in the rain, heading for a haircut.  I
notice at every stop light, after exiting the highway, that I can smell
burning clutch or brake.  Since it's raining, I figure it can't be
brake, and I haven't noticed any dragging feeling.  Eventually I realize
that the clutch is "suddenly" (not too inattentive, am I?) engaging
very, very close to the hand grip.  I spin out the adjuster several
threads, to the point I'm afraid to go any further, lest the thing fall
out, and not much improvement.

>>The only thing I can figure on this is the cable is near failure and
stretching, perhaps as the individual strands give way?

>>Anyone have this happen, maybe,  just before the "snap"?  Or is it
something more expensive?

>>Also, what's a good online source for reasonably priced cables?  Might
as well do the slightly sticky throttle cable at the same time.