[ST] Throttle cable routing?

I'm having problems figuring out the proper throttle cable routing on my '99 ST.

On the left side of the tank there is a guide loop that isn't being used.  I'm not sure how it is to be used with the way it lays down on the mounting point.  Does the cable run thru this?  Is it installed wrong?

I have had problems with the engine revving with turning the bars lock to lock and wonder if this might be part of the problem.  Sometimes when I turn left to lock it will not hit the hard stop but rather stop short feeling like it's hitting cable.

See pics:    www.whcinc.com\images\TCable01.JPG
                www.whcinc.com\images\Tcable02.JPG

Any ideas?

Paul Wisner