RE: [ST] Valve Clearance Issues

Justin,
Someone is blowing smoke out his a**.  Factory shims run from 2.0mm to
3.2mm in .25mm steps.  The 25mm diameter shims used by Triumph on the
pre-'02 engines are also used by several Japanese manufacturers.
Suggest you take one of your shims to your local yamakawahonzuki
dealer and see if they can match them up.

--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST

> okay, I have everything all set to order the correct shims, as my
local triumph dealer wants $18.50 each, and wont swap them. The only
problem is when I called great bay, they said the sizes are too small
for what is offered. I need 4 shims, from 2.41mm to 2.79mm. They are
saying the shim sizes are starting at 3.45mm. Anyone else had this
problem? I triple checked my sizes with 3 different micrometers, and
double checked my math on the conversions (as I don't have any metric
micrometers, nor do my fellow technicians) and checked against my
metric feeler guage stacked to equal the sizes. Any ideas? <