Re: [ST] Panniers & parts info

I just pulled the panniers off the bike and brought them inside.  I see
what you mean.  The gasket presses against the inside edge of the lid
side.  On my right pannier (haven't done anything with the left yet) I
ran a "leak test."  I took it outside and hit it with water from a
garden hose for about 30 sec.  I then opened it up to try and find leak
points.  It appears to come at least partly from the seam Bill is
talking about.  I also had a little water make it around the gasket (I
could see wet spots on the inside edge of the gasket).  So I'm going to
seal the seam, and then play a little with other ways to get a tighter
seal.  I think part of the problem is that the gasket is too soft
(mentioned here before IIRC).

Dan

The lid side fits into that gasket IIRC...the "lip" I mention that I'd
sealed
on the old bike is that lip from the gasket "holder" where it attaches
to the
bike side as I was getting water in between the shell and that piece.

--

www.packereng.com