[ST] overdue LONG ride report part 5 the last of it

I should have mentioned that when I started out in Williams on Monday morning I had the greatest tail wind ever and it lasted all the way to Albuquerque. So the days ride was effortless to that point and when I left PJ's Triumph I was pretty happy. I had the route to Dallas even though I didn't know if it was far enough to get 5000 miles in five days. As soon as I left Albuquerque, the wind conditions changed dramatically for the worse. I now had a horrendous cross wind that was gusting, yet constant and I thought how could this beautiful place be so horrible so quickly. I stopped off in Santa Rosa for gas and to call home and when I opened my tank bag to get my ATM card I heard a weird click like something plastic hit the ground. I looked around and saw nothing and decided the guy at the next pump must have dropped something. I gassed up and pushed the bike to a parking spot to call home. 650.00 treo cell phone gone, crap, !)@(, $%(^*, son of a %&$#* on on with the tourettes again. So I get change and call home to get Dan's number to see if I left it at PJ's because that was the last place I used the phone. Girlfriend tries calling me back on the pay phone, but the phone went out of service between calls, more tourettes. I finally convince some guy that it is ok to let me use his cell phone (cash bribe) and find out my phone is nowhere to be found. I tore he bike apart looking for the damn phone and finally gave up and decided I'd get it replaced in Dallas. Remember the plastic sound I heard, yes it was my phone falling to the ground and I didn't see it. So I take off, pissed because in one day I lost my GPS, Cell phone and pair of nice leather gloves, fatigue again, but I didn't catch it. The wind increased and I remember thinking I couldn't do this for much longer and the farther I went the worse it got. Texas again and the cross winds were so bad I was having a hard time keeping the bike on the road. I passed a guy on an old BMW and he was going about 40mph and gripping the handlebars for all his life was worth.
Finally I pulled off because I couldn't stand the wind anymore and went into a gas station and commented on the wind to the clerk and another local. They looked at me like I was nuts and replied "windy out?, hadn't noticed" Then told me that windy is 90mph winds. I call Duncan up and ask him how far to Dallas from Amarillo because at best guess I was near Amarillo. He thought around 400 miles and I needed at least 300 to get the ss5000. I said great, I'm on my way and should be there very late. I think I figured around 12:00 or 1:00am, oh so wrong, but I had until 4:06 am to get there.
I had cross winds from Albuquerque to Amarillo and when I got to Amarillo I was plain all out beat, but pushed on because I was so close and refused defeat at this point. Darkness fell around me and when I got in Oklahoma I started noticing piles of fresh pink flesh in the road. Not just here and there but everywhere. Oklahoma is like the road kill capital. Tired, the miles pile up and it is getting late and I'm looking at getting to Duncans house around 4:00am instead of 12:00 or 1:00 So I call him and give him an update. The rest of the ride was very uneventful , but very tiring and I started getting gas receipts more and more often to cover my finish. I arrived in Denton TX and got my final gas receipt at 4:05 am, one minute to spare for the ss5000 and according to the OD I had about 170 miles more than I needed. I rolled into Duncans garage around 4:30 am and was greeted by the largest man I have ever seen. Name was Vance and his story is interesting. I crashed on the futon for 4 or 5 hours and got up in the morning walked out to the garage and Steve was up in th garage in his underwear and t shirt. Quite the intro Steve, thanks. I still have nightmares of you in your underwear. So I went to RPM in Dallas, got the chain replaced and went back to Steves and sat in the peaceful back yard all day and drank coffee, smoked cigarettes and napped. Spent the night and left in the morning for my ride back to Illinois. Steve was very hospitable and friendlier than just about anyone I've met and to just take a stranger in was awesome in my book. The ride home was just a cruise up through OK and I missed my turn off and ended up going through all of Kansas which to note was the most beautiful state I'd been in. Eastern Kansas is very nice. Oh as a note, Kansas is where I lost Steve's camelbak hydrator, left it on the sleeping bag roll at a rest stop and drove off. Thus the ribbing from Steve in a recent post. I stayed in a very cheesy, dirty motel 8 in Missouri, horrible armpit of a state whose main source of income appears to be porn shops every half mile through the whole state. I hate Missouri and never want to go back. I'd go for W Texas again before going through Missouri. I arrived home in Princeton, Illinois around 2:30 pm on Thursday, seven days after I started and was already thinking about my next LD ride. Since I didn't get the actual cert for the ss3000, I think I'll do that this summer for the heck of it.
I learned a lot about my physical limits, mental limits and also picked up knowledge about planning and packing for long trips. So many things I'll do differently next time and am glad to be alive and somewhat healthy. Hope I didn't bore you all to death, but this is my first ride report and I tried to cover most of what I remember the best I remember it. So until next time see ya, take care and above all RIDE SAFE.

TimE