[ST] New ('05) ST enthusiast

Welcome Bud:
I think you should make the time to ride an '05 ST. I test rode the '05 ST about a month ago. I have owned two ST's previously: '00 and currently a '03 ST. Before that I owned a '97 Trophy 900. I rode that Trophy for almost exactly six months and put 7,200 miles on it before trading it in. I thought it handled like a truck.
The line of Sprint ST's are something VERY different. The ST is very nimble with a much lower centre of gravity. You will find that handling the bike at any speed will be a snap in comparison with the Trophy. The '05 is a very quick bike with excellent, precise steering response, great brakes and a very comfortable stock seat that does not slope in any noticible direction.
I rode the '05 model on a lovely Spring day that was about 68 degrees. The engine throws a LOT OF HEAT! I clearly felt the heat on my right calf while in motion. I found it very uncomfortable. I can't imagine what that heat is like on a 90+ day.
The riding position is very much like the earlier ('99-'04) ST's. If you don't want to lean forward, this is not your bike. The '05 ST places the rider a slightly bit more upright, but there still is that pronounced lean forward. The ST has placed the emphasis firmly on the SPORT part of the Sport-Touring moniker, unlike the Trophy.
I can tell you more about the instruments, etc, but you seem to be much more concerned about the ergo's. Best advice I can give you is to ride a demo and see for yourself.
Safe riding,

Howard Stephen Serlick
'03 Blue ST
Philadelphia