Re: [ST] Tried the archives and failed, the Guinness was easier!

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 14:00 -0400, Rupert Galea wrote:
> > Can't figure out how to find what I'm looking for, sorting through nearly 1000 hits.
> >
> > Repeat question, I'm sure.  I'm noticing, even through insulated textile riding pants, a serious amount of engine heat coming up around the back end of the tank on my '01.  First noticed on a 60 degree day, very obvious as it has gotten warmer.  Has this been addressed by anyone?  Haven't done more than 40 miles in a stretch (still don't have a registration on this salvage rebuilt bike!), but I see this really cooking my legs on a longer trip.
>
> Jeremy you have discovered one of the few major issues with the ST. It
> throws out a lot of heat. If you are moving it is not too bad but you
> can get roasted in traffic.
>
> The only solution I have heard of is a modification that CAPT Howard
> S. Serlick USNR made. I am not sure how well it work. You can find
> details here
> http://www.triumphnet.com/st/mods/body/index.html

I've noticed this on my 2003 ST as well. I compared it to the ZX9 ans
GSXR1000 I had. On both the GSXR and the ZX9 the fairing bit behind the
cutout goes in front of the engine. On the GSXR there a foam block on
the inside of the fairing to stop the heat getting up to the riders
legs. May I show sir exhibit "A" :-
http://simonb.zapik.com/temp/gsxr_heat.JPG

There is also a large gap between the tank and the side rails to let the
heat out.

However on the ST exhibit "B" the bit behind the cutout never gets
anywhere near the side of the engine. There is at least a 1/2 gap. Thus
instead of forcing the heat out through the cutout in the fairing it
travels back to the riders legs. Now if Sir was to insert some
strategically sculptured foam behind the fairing panel one would find
that the heat no longer simmers ones legs. Don't forget to remove it in
the winter though. Velcro is your friend.

--
simonb <simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx>