RE: [ST] nail

Marc wrote:
>>I had to pull a nail out of my back tire : a BT57 with only 1500 kms
on it
(930 miles).A mate shoved a plug in it so that I could get the bike
home.<<

>>I'm planning on taking the bike to a professional bike tire fitter
to have the plug checked out with the tire off the rim.<<

Steve responded:
> I know it seems like a terrible waste, and I've had to do it myself.

But do you really want to be contemplating a catastrophic tire failure
while zooming along at speed?  We have enough to worry about, adding a
plugged tire just ruins the fun of riding, for me.  Just my personal
opinion.<

Marc,
I've patched and continued using several rear tires over the last 5
years including long, hard rides at extra-legal speeds on
heavily-laden bikes and had no problems.  That said, I'm less
enthusiastic about running a patched *front* tire.
My take:
If the hole is small and near the center of the tread I'd have the
'professional' install a patch plug [like this:
http://tinyurl.com/733z5] from the inside of the tire.

Here's another article on the repair procedure:
http://www.mz3.net/articles/156.html
--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST