Re: [ST] nail

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Steve Lawler wrote:

> I currently have one of those gummy, fuzzy worm patches in a tire that
> has lasted about 4000 miles. Some of those miles have been in the triple
> digits. Some have been 80+ (with blips into the 90's) with a pillion.
>
> Here's something to ponder: Does anyone have any first or second hand
> knowledge of a catastrophic tire failure due to a patch failing? I have
> heard plenty of tales of the plugs lasting but none about them failing.

One second-hand story (so take with some very large grains of salt),
however it was a front tire in this case, and the failing wasn't so much
that the tire came unplugged, it was that the rider didn't check the pressure
and ran at high speeds with the front tire basically fully deflated. So I
guess the answer is technically - no it was not due to the patch failing.
The tire was *fine*, it just didn't have enough air in it.

You *do* regularly check the tire pressure, right? Regardless of whether
your tire is plugged or not, right?

I tend to be more leery of patching the front, but in my experience it
tends to be the rear that picks up things. Maybe because it is wider - I
don't know.

I'm quite confident running with a plugged rear tire and the logic that
works for me is this - the worst that will likely happen is that the plug
comes out. In that case you are roughly back where you started - a hole in
the rear tire. It will slowly or quickly leak out air, but it isn't like
the tire is going to explode or shred itself to bits.

I also understand (check this one out before you act on it) that the
motorcycle as well as automotive tire manufacturers have actual plugs that
they recommend and approve for full-speed street use. These are the
from-the-inside mushroom type. I suspect that brand/model of plug will
differ by manufacturer, but I also suspect it doesn't make much
difference.

YMMV, IANAL and all that..

Paul