Re: [ST] wheel bearing thoughts

Sorry, that is one thing I do think about when considering the next new bike, but the overall performance is the deciding factor. I get ST opinions here and other bike opinions elsewhere, but this SSSA and bearing thing has been on my mind for awhile. I was just wanting experienced opinions about the performance during rides that require the bike to be traveling for up to 20+ hours of continuous riding for days at a time. So rear hub and bearing issues would be on the list of concerns for me among other possible issues. Being on the road with any mechanical issues is not a fun time. Thanks for your insight, more opinions, more opinions please.

TimE

My 99 ST has 38K on it. The rear bearings are fine. One of the front
wheel bearings failed at 23K. I am the second owner (bought it with
13K).

I friend of mine just had the front wheel bearings fail on his Ducati
ST4S with 35K on it. He bought it new.

No-one reported a problem with the rear hub bearings in the survey I did
http://www.rgalea.com/bikes/st/reliability.html

The people that I know personally who had rear hub bearings seize had
bikes with VIN's that fell within the recall
http://www.sprint-st.org/recalls.html#Rear%20Wheel%20Bearing

Draw your own conclusions but I think the choice between a Tiger and
an ST should have nothing to do with a concern about rear hub bearing
reliability.
Rupert