Re: [ST] wheel bearing thoughts

I would say that as far as the needle bearing is visited on schedule it's OK.
In a SSSA you have two ball bearings (left hand side) and a needle bearing(right hand side).
Given my experience about it I would say that the needle bearing is just here to minimize the strength
on the ball bearings (the flexion). The main asset of a DSSA is probably to be able to find a second source
more easily for the bearing, which is not really a concern.

When I was wondering so much about it (the "rear hub play" thread) it was one month after greasing it up at 20K.
The torque I put on it was a little lower than the one the dealer put. At that time someone on the list made the remark.
Despite a little play, the needle bearing was in perfect condition. At the final remounting, I put a torque a little lower than
the dealer, but a little higher than my last one and no more play. Probably the play is more a question of adjusting the torque,
compressing a little (so little) the inner cage of the two ball bearings and thus reducing the play.

Unless you put more than 20K km at once (something like 50 hours trip), it's fine. Check it on a regular basis, that's it.
Even at 20k km, the needle bearing was still well greased.

Fred 02 ST BRG