Re: [ST] SS Brake Lines?

Justin,

If your bike has more than a couple thousand miles on it you've probably got clogged pistons in the calipers. It's an easy thing to fix and I address it at every other oil change now. I used to have instructions for exactly how to clean the calipers but there's really nothing technical about it. Remove one of the front calipers and the brake pads. Apply gentle pressure to the brake lever being careful not to push the cylinders too far as leakage and air bubbles can result. More than likely you'll see that one or more of the pistons doesn't function properly. If this is the case apply a liberal amount of brake cleaner to the pistons and attempt to wipe out the excess. Manually move the pistons by hand back into the caliper being careful not to push them to far as you will overflow the brake-fluid reservoir and get fluid everywhere. How do I know? Don't ask ;). After that it's repeat, repeat, repeat until all of the pistons move freely and together. Then do the other side.

The first time I did this it was after 12k miles and my brakes were seriously fugged up. After completing the cleaning it was like getting a new bike.

Hope that helps,

Nate
00SprintRS

JUSTIN SHREAVES wrote:
I just did the conversion, but now need a master cylinder,
as the feel is exactly the same, with all the proper bleeding
techniques. On my other bikes, it makes a world of difference.
But I cannot verify on my 00 ST..