From: Paul English <tallpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Bil Swartz <bil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:22:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [ST] wrestlin' the rack

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Bil Swartz wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Paul English wrote:
>
> -I assume as you said there is some strengthening value, but I can't really
> -see it.
>
> I think that's what the bracketry is *all* about...
>
> -Someone tell me that I'll pay for being so lazy and I really should put
> -those extra brackets, and why, to give me the motivation to put in the
> -extra hour (or two).
>
> I wish it was only an hour or two, but I didn't give up on the rear bracket
> until I'd wasted prolly about 4 hours on it all - then had to put everything
> back together.   I can also see where installing this *before* the panniers is
> a Good Idea but alas mine were already on.

Mine too - wow what a PITA. Unless someone can give me a good reason, I'll
probably just keep it the way it is and only put light stuff in there.
Then when I'm ready to finally put in the time and install the Scottoiler,
I'll take everything apart back there to do it and put the brackets in
too.

> Hard for me to say how needed the brackets really are as I had always had
> 'em.  I generally tend not to put much weight in the top box, but it did haul
> a case of beer a couple of times.  How much have you placed in yours w/o the
> brackets?

Actually, I haven't used it so far, (just put it on yesterday) but I don't
put much weight in there, and case of beer would be very extreme. I
really don't like that much weight high and back on the bike. For me the
top rack is all about around town convenience - it holds my backpack with
notebook, keys, maps, tire plugger, cell phone and wallet when I don't
want them in my pockets, and the odd grocery or two. I like the looks of
the bike with the top rack + box over side panniers and it makes it easier
for me to get the bike past my car out the driveway.

Now that I have it I'll likely end up only using the panniers if I'm going
to do a serious grocery trip or when I'm touring.