Re: [ST] SS brake lines

Quoting Bil Swartz <bil@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> -You could do if you want the expense. But just getting the dust off the
> slave
> -cylinders is all you need to do. The seals tend to grip the cylinders
> causing
> -the spongy feeling at the lever. I squirt a small quantity of PJ1 blue
> chain
> -lube down the side of the slave cylinders to keep the corrosion/water out.
> -This makes a big difference as you don't have to clean everything back up
> -untill the next change of pads. Replaceing the seals will never be
> required.
> -Well not till the bikes done mega miles anyway. It PJ1 is very good at
> keeping
> -the UK winter road salt out of the calipers.
>
> Sounds like a reasonable thing to do to me, and a good tip to boot!  How
> long
> have you been chain lubing your pistons?

For years on defferent bikes. I was shown this trick by a mechanic. how to stop
your Yamahaaaa calipers siezing up. It worked. The proper comercial stuff is
probably better. But I can never get hold of it. But PJ1 is a high enough temp
to stay in place.

>  And do you do this with the pads
> off, or are you squirting it in situ between the pads and the calipers onto
> the pistons?

I've done both. With PJ1 it doesn't come out frothy. More like slow WD40. The
can has a long pipe on it. Test the flow first on your chain. Then a tiny
little squirt on the piston is all that is needed. You can see it disappear
into the gap. PJ1 goes quite firm and wont wash off easily. When I replace the
pads I do a full clean up. When I change the front tyre I just re-spray
carefully, as the calipers are off.

--
SimonB