RE: [ST] Octane

Garry wrote:
>> All I know is that my 2002 RS will knock with 89 if I put a heavy
load on the motor, such as a big handful of throttle coming out of a
steep uphill corner in too low a gear. It doesn't when I run 91
("Premium"). Note that I'm running a custom tune ("PKs Touring Tune"
via TuneBoy). Bike runs fine, so I put in the good stuff and go... <<

And Jeremy wrote:
>> Seafoam is sold as a marine engine carburetor/fuel system cleaner.
Turns out it's very effective on fuel injectors as well.  I learned of
it from the Hawk list, lots of satisfied users there.  I've had good
luck with it on my outboard and various other combustion engines
around the house and driveway. <<

Two issues here, that of injector cleanliness [read correct fuel
atomization] and combustion chamber deposits [carbon], both of which
can contribute to pinging and an overall loss of 'crispness' in engine
response.  Engines benefit from the regular addition of cleaning
additives to the fuel.  I won't enter into a discussion of what
products are best, though I've had good results with products from
Chevron, Amsoil, Liqui Moly and others.  YMMV.

--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST