Re: [ST] HD hatred

Quoting Ken Thompson <kentmpsonmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> At 09:11 AM 6/22/2005 - st-triumphnet.com-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> offered:
> >1. I can't see buying an HD, because I think they're overpriced.  Their
> >technology is old and is just now  starting to use technology that's
> >been available for years.
>

> Well consider the cost you pay for adjusting valves and setting the
> FI.  It's what, $600 USD every 12k miles?

But you have to spend half the value of the bike again to get it above 35BHP at
the back wheel. Triumph is very overpriced for serviceing. However the list of
things done is far more than just change the oil.

>  Harley's are a change the oil
> and ride deal.  AND you won't wait for them to order that clutch cable,
> it'll be in stock.  I think they are overpriced to but they do have some
> strong draws, especially imo the Sportster 12.  Reasonably priced,
> reasonably quick, handles decent

This is where the problem exists. I truth compared to other run of the mill
machines they are very slow for a 1200cc bike and handle like a 70's bike.

For joe public you have to be very carefull to get the correct bench mark when
making statements like that.

> and they fixed the shakes which was always
> their biggest problem.  And I've seen many Sportsters with over 100,000
> miles on em.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Triumphs but...

I quite like the minimalist Harleys. OK for interstate work at 70mph, which is
what they where designed for. Totally useless in the bends due to lack of
ground clearance. Very underpowered from stock so you have to spend loads on
them. Horses for coarses.

--
SimonB