Re: [ST] Speedometer

On 6/25/05, drbrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <drbrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My speedometer/odommeter quite working last weekend.  I was wondering if any one on the list  has changed a cable?  Any ideas on parts cost and or labor time?
>
> I install new tires, Metzeler R6, and took the bike for a test ride of eight miles.  Everthing was working fine, so I loaded the bike for a weekend trip.  I rode less than 1/2 mile and the speedometer was dead.  I have a sigma 800 bike speedometer so I still had speed and distance info.  Today I disassembled the front wheel assembly but everything appeared fine.  So I quess the next step is to replace the cable and hope the problem is not in the instruments.   This is the first problem I have had with the bike in 17,000 miles.
>
> Rick
> 00 Sprint ST

Rick sometimes the sender seizes up. It happened to me on the Blue
Ridge Parkway and came back to life on its own. It seems like too much
of a coincidence that it happened right after installing new tires.
Someone on this list told me that is fairly easy to remove the sender
and free it up and re-grease it.
Rupert