Re: [ST] for Steve - George Whats-is-face?

In a previous email, don draper stated:
>>>have you seen the new commercial for Oreck vacuum cleaners? George Steinbrenner is vacuuming his office and starts talking about the virtues of the Oreck. He wraps up by saying, "Trust me. I know all about spending wads of money on something that really sucks."<<<

Okay, it's worth displaying my ignorance to satisfy my curiosity;... who's George Steinbrenner and why does he vacuum his own office?

There is no commercial. I made it up. The whole thing is a metaphor. George Steinbrenner is the owner of the New York Yankees. Oreck's are very expensive vacuum cleaners and they really suck quite well. The Yankees have the highest payroll in Major League Baseball and they really suck quite well.

Personally I find it funny as all hell that he paid that much for a bunch of aging players that are playing .500 ball.

Having grown up outside Hartford, CT, halfway between Boston and New York, I have grown to love hating the Yankees.

--
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA