To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 2:57 PM
Subject: RE: [ST] suggestions for a recalictrant oil filter?

Kyle asked:
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a recalcitrant oil
filter? I have an 00 ST. I bought the 'Triumph' filter removal wrench.
It seems like a close fit (it won't slip when placed on the filter and
attempted to turn by hand) but ultimately it does rotate on the
filter, with me using a breaker bar on it for leverage and pressing up
on the wrench/filter to make sure the wrench is not 'popping off' when
I turn it. Searched the archives, found something about sticking
screwdrivers through the side of the filter in an emergency situation
without wrenches, which I tried to but lack the requisite improv
mechanical skill to make this actually useful. <

a) Try a wrap of sandpaper inside the filter wrench to improve grip

b) Use a channel lock plier or:

c), one of these:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/chnnlock/oilfilt.html

or these: http://tinyurl.com/an3sk

d) Snap-on makes a cup-type wrench http://tinyurl.com/crprp which fits
both 65 & 67mm OE filters, about $11.

Before you use the screwdriver-through-the-side-of-the-filter
technique, try a couple of sheet metal screws through the side of the
filter wrench into the filter.  If you use the screwdriver method, be
very careful to avoid driving it through the sump!

--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST