[ST] RE: ST-triumphnet.com Digest, Vol 3, Issue 61

Dave says: "I haven't been keeping up with the list daily so, may have
missed this. Has anyone bought the new '05 ST yet? I'm seriously thinking of
trading in my  '00 RS and would like to hear some opinions first.

Thanks,

Dave"

Dave, I've got an '05 with about 1500 miles on it now, and it's great.  The
handling is sharp and responsive, the power is enough to make me grin when I
get power-wheelies coming out of corners, the riding position is comfortable
(I'm "normal" sized - about 6'5" and 275) with the exception of the seat
scoop being just a tiny bit too close and the fit/finish is great.

I've got the "off-road" exhaust, bags and rear seat cowl (although it is yet
to be delivered).  The exhaust has a really nice note to it without being
obnoxious.  The Triumph racing exhaust on my Super III is frankly better
sounding, but given the reduced noise on the ST, it sounds great.

The bags are cavernous and will take an Arai full face without a struggle -
additionally, they are keyed to the ignition so no extra key is needed.  The
other nifty thing is, they are symmetrical, so you put them on either side.

I'm still twiddling with the suspension settings, as it's a bit soft right
out of the box (again, for me), but it has no bad habits, i.e., wobbles in
corners, etc.

Other than the seat scoop, about the only thing I'm looking at doing
something about is putting some sort of brace across the windscreen as the
mirrors have some motion at ultra-legal velocities, not that I ever ride
like that!!  Just in case, y'understand!

While it's still being broken in, I'm getting about 44-45 mpg (US) at normal
hiway speeds, so I suspect it may increase a bit more.  I can attest to the
accuracy of the fuel indicator, too.  The manual says the tank holds 5.55 US
Gals and I've got a fuel receipt showing that I put in 5.47 gals and it was
still running!!  Your mileage may vary, however.

Anyway, my impressions are: Outstanding!  Exceeds all expectations!

DTFR
Al Kinney

'05 Sprint ST  "Silverdammit"
'97 Concours "Kermit"