Re: [ST] Theres a squeak!

On Jun 28, 2005, at 2:47 AM, iPat wrote:

Theres a squeak! Like when you sit on a rickety old chair.
Its definately occurs when i brake or decelerate.
Listening carefully its like a grinding squeak which makes me think its a
bearing issue. Front end due to its exposure when the weight shifts forward
I bought this 2000 ST because of its low mileage which i have doubled to
6800 miles. Is there a historic trend to bearing life with the 2000?
Now to find out exactly where its coming from....

If it sounds like the squeak is coming from the rear, I would suspect it's the rear wheel bearing, and I would immediately stop riding it. Your description sounds pretty close to what I heard a few miles before the bearing seized, except I noticed it in corners, not when braking.

Have you checked the brake pads?

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned