Re:Re: [ST] Theres a squeak!

Pat,

If it's under waranty, let the dealer deal with it. If not did you follow my (long)
thread about the rear bearings? It's still probably in the archive. Whatever, there is no grease nipple.

Fred

well it turns out the lovely ride the other week with my son caused a few problems.
The chain is stretched. The slack was causing the noise i assumed to be bearings. However there is play in the back wheel so i'll have to change the bearings there.
Id only checked the chain the weekend before the ride out so i had discounted that but the ride with the extra weight seemed to have seperated the bearings, moved the hub and so the excess chain slack.
Where is the grease nipple i wonder? The bikes history tells me that it wasnt heavily used before i got it. Ive doubled the mileage in a year that it did in three. and so i wonder if the problem lies with the fact that the grease has dried up and the extra weight on the ride has accelerated the issue.
The maintenance chart tells me thatin the two year service the bearings should have been lubricated but as that was at 3000 miles i wonder if they bothered?