RE: [ST] Countersteering

>I guess I need to go to his forum and see if he defines "active and
>somewhat abrupt countersteering".  The word abrupt means unexpectedly
>sudden.  I could be wrong, but, the physics goveerning the motorcycle
>doesn't like abrupt changes.

I understand your point.  I should have said something like precise,
deliberate, committed.  In Code's class, level I, he places a mark on the
track where you are supposed to turn in.  Riding onto that mark and then
giving the bar a serious shove results in the bike turning in and setting
you on a great line for the corner. It also lessens the lean angle needed to
clear the corner.  When on the track and going deep into a corner, I give
the bar a serous (though calculated) jab.  A guy riding behind be one time
commented that he's never seen someone change direction so quickly before.
This has had no ill effects, nor does it seem to unsettle the bike. I
suppose there is a limit to that, though.

>It causes instability.  IMO, speaking from some track experience, the
>change needs to be deliberate and smooth.  Whenever I did anything sudden
>or abrupt, it was because of an error in line/corner speed, and the
>motorcycle did not like that one bit.

Again, i know what you are saying, and I don't advocate wild moves. But I am
here to tell you that powerful, deliberate countersteering works.

>Hanging off helps reduce motorcycle lean angle and keep more tyre patch in
>contact with the tarmac.  Too much lean angle will result in reducing the
>contact patch and result in some sort of crash through loss of traction.
>Ground clearance isn't much of an issue on race prep bikes.

If you ride beyond the tread and onto the sidewall, you are definately going
to touch something down and/or lose the contact patch.  Still, I have seen
race bikes sparking from touch down, even with the rider hanging off (more
so in club racing).

I don't think we disagree on any of this -- we just have different ways of
expressing it.