Re: [ST] Moving to South Texas

CAPT Howard S. Serlick USNR wrote:

> Doug:
>     While you will not have to deal with anything resembling Winter,
> I hope you like blazing hot weather. Summers in Corpus are (no kidding)
> easily over 100+ degrees with 120+ percent Relative Humidity.
>     I spent a decent amount of time in Corpus and nearby Ingleside
> during the Summer of '00. We routinely had days that were 112 to 117
> with 132% R.H. The only good news ( as far as I'm concerned) is that
> there is a constant 25 mph wind blowing. If you like to windsurf or surf
> fish, you are in the right place!
>     I wish you the best in lovely, flat-as-a-board South Texas.

Eck, it is not all that bad. Over 100 deg F and 100% humidity is pretty
darn rare, that is *a lot* of energy in the atmosphere. I've never been
south of League City (NASA area), but I've traveled the League City,
Houston, Austin, Dallas triangle (sorta) a lot wen I was working for
QNX. Way back in the high tech boom days where there where about 5 or 7
companies who where confident they knew how to produce the "Internet
Appliance" that was going to make the world a better place. Only one got
a decent product out. Netpliance from Austin with the IOpener.

Beyond that, with it was warm, 108 deg F or so in Dallas, but with
30-50% humidity in Dallas, then as you drove South, the temperature
would drop, don't think I ever say anything more than 96-98 deg F in
Houston, but that 30-50% RH climbed to 60 to 80%.

For me 108 deg and 50% RH is more comfortable than 95 deg and 80% RH,
but they are close to the same heat index IIRC.

In either case, when you get used to it, you will find the temperature
is not that bad. In the end

a) If you travel N. of Texas, you will need heated gear, when you get
comfortable riding in Texas during the summer, the same gear will leave
you cold when your riding in the 60's and 70's, let alone 30's and 40's
you will see in the Northern States when you travel.

b) Wearing jeans and a polo in 90+ deg F becomes common.

BTW, my head training consisted of rush hour riding a ZX9r in a full
black leather jacket, full face helmet, solid leather gloves and boots.

Remember to drink water, and life is good.

As far as riding it self, down south it is not as bad, West of
Austin/San Antonio has a lot of good riding. On the other hand, Dallas,
takes a solid 2 to 3 hour ride to get to a reason able set of roads :-(

cheers,
Tom
- --
Thomas Emberson