[ST] Cooling Sys HELP.

- --0-1756489269-1110939080=:80416

I have not posted for a very long time, but Im stumped and hope someone nearby has a service manual or relavant expertise/experience (00 Sprint ST w/ 50,000 miles)

I am trying to diagnose a problem w/cooling system. Here are the symptoms

Temp gauge will register almost normal, then drop back down to nothing and and will fluctuate around well under normal temp unless sitting idling. Check engine light is on. Cooling fan kicked on a couple times while idling (temp gauge reading very low). Bike runs fine but idles a little high and smells a touch rich. (cold start compensation valve?). for some reason it thinks its cold?? all these symptons were pretty sudden, the check engine light came on one ride berfore the onset of the rest of the symptons.

I removed and tested the thermostat and it is opening as it should at the 80deg stamped. All these symptoms started about same time. All fluids and juices are uniform level.

Im looking at sensors at this point and any whisdom as to sensor location/test proceedures/specs would be greatly appriciated. I see one sensor on the upper coolant hose outlet from the engine. I have my multimeter and tools in hand waiting to go, but I do not have access to a computer to read the codes.

THANKS for reading and any help at all.

Sincerely, Tony Burke
00 Sprint ST
85 Honda Oddy
79 Honda 75

- ---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
- --0-1756489269-1110939080=:80416

<DIV>I have not posted for a very long time, but Im stumped and hope someone nearby has a service manual or relavant expertise/experience (00 Sprint ST w/ 50,000 miles)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am trying to diagnose a problem w/cooling system. Here are the symptoms</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Temp gauge will register almost normal, then drop back down to nothing and and will fluctuate around well under normal temp unless sitting idling. Check engine light is on. Cooling fan kicked on a couple times while idling (temp gauge reading very low). Bike runs fine but idles a little high and smells a touch rich. (cold start compensation valve?). for some reason it thinks its cold?? all these symptons were pretty sudden, the check engine light came on one ride berfore the onset of the rest of the symptons.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I removed and tested the thermostat and it is opening as it should at the 80deg stamped. All these symptoms started about same time. All fluids and juices are uniform level.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Im looking at sensors at this point and any whisdom as to sensor location/test proceedures/specs would be greatly appriciated. I see one sensor on the upper coolant hose outlet from the engine. I have my multimeter and tools in hand waiting to go, but I do not have access to a computer to read the codes.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>THANKS for reading and any help at all.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sincerely, Tony Burke</DIV>
<DIV>00 Sprint ST</DIV>
<DIV>85 Honda Oddy</DIV>