[ST] Re: ST/RS Turning Radius

Here's a link to the IL cycle handbook.  In the back, it shows the
different exercises, and a rough layout of the cones.  Does this look at
all familiar?  The cones shown for the offset test are the same as what
you're dealing with (although they don't look like it...)  I watched an
MSF instructor do this with his Harley, so I bet with practice your son
could do it with an RS...

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_x1405.pdf

Dan

>>> sprint_st@xxxxxxx 03/21/05 8:40 AM >>>
Dan,
I got a reply last night from the SC Rider Education Organization who
do
the classes.  The guy said it was a standard 4'/15' course.  Sorry, but
have never come across a standard 4'/15' course and to me there are
still
some missing dimensions.  I think the 4'/15' refers to two cones four
feet
apart with one on the centerline and alternating in direction away
from
the centerline.  There are five pairs of cones 15 feet apart.  The one
dimension I have yet to nail is how far from the centeline can the
bike
travel while making making the turns.  I also don't know if the course
was on was actually measured out correctly or not.  Again, getting info
on
this from DMV has been mission impossible.  The SCRidED guy says that
bikes like mine do it all the time after their instructors show you
how.
I have a minor problem with that, why do you need to learn how to be
an
observed trials rider on the street?  I'd also like to see a Gold Wing
or
Dyna Glide go through that puppy.  Right now I wish my wife had bought
Suzuki Savage a year or so back.  I think that thing can do a u-turn on
sidewalk :-)

I'm in the process of contacting a local instructor to see if I can
watch
a class actually do it.  Maybe I'm all screwed up as to how you are
supposed to do this guy.  I hope I'm just missing something.
Thanks,
Rod

Join ISP.COM today - $8.95 internet , less than 1/2 the cost of AOL
Try us out, http://www.isp.com/

 *   *

www.packereng.com